Melbourne Child Development is dedicated to providing the highest quality social skills groups for children of all ages. Our groups have a strong focus on tailoring group activities to each child’s individual needs and goals.
We take the time to get to know as much about your child as we can prior to the commencement of the group to ensure that they are placed in a group that is well matched for them in age and in communication level.
We run social skills groups:
- Every school holidays
- During the school term, subject to availability and interest of other children
What do the programs include?
Social skills groups help children of all ages to improve their social and emotional communication, and provide them with valuable tools which they can add to their social skills toolbox for future use.
Depending on the age of the children in the groups, each group will usually include:
- Imaginative group play
- Collaboration and negotiation
- Peer to peer interaction
Some important focus points for children of different ages include:
3-7 year olds: Develop listening skills and understanding of typical playground language and interaction
7-9 year olds: Develop successful understanding of peers through play interaction.
11-13 year olds: Develop flexible thinking and behaviour in a group dynamic that will assist in preparation for the transition from primary school to secondary school. Children around this age may also benefit from the Secret Agent Society.
School holiday programs
Each program includes:
- 2-hour sessions to give your child time to enjoy interacting with the group and form relationships
- A four day program with specifically tailored individual goals for your child within group activities
- A 30 minute parent coaching session at the end of each daily session aimed at assisting you to help your child generalise their new skills into everyday life
- The knowledge and expertise of Speech Pathologists with over 30 years collective experience
- Time to yourself…enjoy a quiet coffee or spend some time with your other children
- 4 x 2 hour daily sessions facilitated by two Speech Pathologists
- 9.00am – 11.00am sessions (subject to confirmation) with 30 minute parent coaching session from 10.30am – 11.00am
Pre-program assessment, 60 minutes $205
Daily 2 hour session $195 each
Total group cost (4 sessions) $780
- Children joining us at the Practice for the first time may require a pre-program assessment session of 60 minutes so that our Speech Pathologists can best understand your child’s needs and match them within the groups appropriately
- This cost of this pre-program assessment for new clients is $205.
Program terms and conditions
- Helping Children with Autism and Better Start (FaHCSIA) funding may be used for these sessions.
- CDMP may be available if determined by your GP. These Medicare rebated session can only be used for individual therapy sessions only and will therefore only apply to the pre-program assessment.
- Sessions may be claimed through Private Health Insurance Extras Cover – check with your Private Health insurer to see if you are covered for Speech Pathology Group sessions
- Enrolment to this 4 day program requires commitment to all four sessions
- A deposit of 25% of the total program cost is required to enrol in the program for administration costs. This fee is non-refundable* and will be taken of the cost of the first session.
- A cancellation fee of 50% of the per session cost will apply if cancelled within 24 hours of the session time. Cancellation fees are the responsibility of the parent and cannot be claimed through FaHCSIA.
*Should the group not proceed for reasons determined by Melbourne Child Development, any deposits paid will be refunded